WAIFC Young Academic Award 2022
The global financial sector continues to undergo rapid evolution with new technologies enabling the digitization of money, innovative trends involving artificial intelligence and DLT, and a greater focus on financing SMEs and financial inclusion. We see a long-term transition toward a sustainable financial industry, while in the short-term, there is a need to support the economic recovery from the pandemic.
We invite young academics to submit papers or essays addressing one of the following topics:
- The future of finance, or what will financial centers look like in 2030
- How the financial sector can contribute to a sustainable economic recovery from the current pandemic
- Innovations in sustainable finance and their impact on the financial industry
- How financial centers can promote inclusive finance
- New ways of successfully financing small and medium-sized enterprises
We will also consider papers on topics not mentioned above, but relevant to the work of international financial centers.
The top three finalists will have the unique opportunity to present their research at WAIFC’s Annual General Meeting to be held in Casablanca, Morocco in October 2022. Our Chair will announce the winner of the best paper and award a prize of €3,000. The runners-up will be awarded prizes of €2,000 (2nd place) and €1,000 (3rd place).
The first edition of this award aimed at rewarding papers on the most relevant topics for financial centers such as sustainable finance or digital transformation.
A separate "social media prize" based on the preferences of WAIFC's social media audience was also awarded.
After the deliberation of the jury, the winners were:
- 1st Tristan Caballero-Montes
- 2nd Harshini Moonisamy-Ellapah & Paul Momtaz
- 3rd Victor Saint-Jean
The “social media prize” was awarded to Harshini Moonisamy-Ellapah.
We congratulate the winners whose work is of high quality and useful for economic development.